Valdai was designed to the Second International Rating Rule by Alfred Mylne in 1930 and was built in the UK by the Bute Slip Dock Co. at Port Bannatyne on the Clyde for Robert Clark. He only kept her briefly before selling her on to Dr. Robert Carslaw of Glasgow, who converted her into a cruiser and re-named her Rowan III. After the War she was sold to a John Cameron of Strathblane, Glasgow who renamed her ‘Mameno’ and continued to keep her at Greenock. By 1953/54, by now again renamed ‘Valdai’, she was owned by George Andrews who took her to Blyth on the N.E. Coast, where she raced in handicap racing at the Royal Northumberland YC. She was also loaned to a John and Edward Cartner who cruised her extensively, after which she was sold to Sunderland.
In 1995 she was spotted by Tim Street lying on her side on the saltings in the River Deben, just above Pin Mill in Essex. Subsequently she was sold on e-bay to Peter Wilson of the Aldeburgh Boatyard, who recovered her to his yard. Peter Wilson did preliminary work on her and then sold her on to Sir Robert Owen who, together with James Fairrie, arranged for her beautiful restoration by Tom Owen at is yard in Fowey, where she was returned to full racing trim for the first time since 1932. In March 2012 she was re-launched to attend the Six Metre European Championships at Nyneshamn, Sweden, where her current owners achieved her best racing performance ever. In 2013 she also took part in the Robbe & Berking Classic World Championships.
Information kindly supplied by Fiona Brown/Tim Street.
Know something about this boat? Tell us!